Everyday, we get to know about something new in this high tech era. Like most people, I usually check mails everyday. Also, we all love to surf the web for gaining extra knowledge, solving some queries, watch videos ( also that adul+ videos), get to know about something new and interesting. Some people loves to chat on social networking sites while other loves to shop online. There are so many reasons why we browse internet.
When each and everything is available on internet, why one would be going out for buying products? From mobile recharge to ticket booking, from finding a new friend to a new life partner, from buying clothes to buying cars, you can get all these things on Internet.
You do all such things while sitting on chair in your room where there is no one to disturb you. You have all the privacy that you really wants. Am I right?
Welcome to the reality – Privacy is DEAD. It just doesn’t exists anymore. The very nature of the internet is open and connected. So to think that you are in your private room surfing web or chatting or sending mails or buying products seems like Laugh Out Loud
With every single click of mouse, we are just leaving our personal information without thinking.
Things that you are usually giving out -
Browser and Operating System details, IP Address, websites visited, links clicked and a lot more.
General Precautions while browsing -
1. Always read privacy policies of all those sites that you frequently visit.
2. Always upgrade your browser when the latest version is available. This is to ensure maximum protection against online threats.
3. All the browsers now have “Private Browsing” mode where none of your browsing history, searches and cookies are stored on your computer. So, check your Privacy settings before you start browsing the web.
4. Disable scripts in your browser. Most sites run scripts without your knowledge to collect your information and browsing details.
5. Make sure, you are always on a secure Internet connection.
Why you should be worried about this ?
Your personal data can be collected to make your fake profile with accurate information. Also, this information can be sold to tracking agents that you have never heard of.
Even if you don’t care too much, remember that all your data is available on the server. If a cyber criminal hacks into these servers, your personal information could be in danger.
What you are giving out through networking with friends -
While filling the profile, we just fill everything from date of birth to the place you are living, where are you currently working, email addresses, phone numbers and the list goes on.
How to stay safe through Social Networks -
1. Get off Facebook. Yeah, I am serious! Even I am also addicted to Facebook and tying a lot to minimize its use. If you are an insufferable addict, then check your privacy settings what things you are revealing to public and other people. Make it to friends only. Also make sure, you are not showing your date of birth, email and phone number.
2. Always read and understand permissions of the apps on Facebook and Twitter that you use. Most of them require everything – date of birth, email, phone number, location and more. Recently, you can see people are inviting each other to SchoolFeed app on Facebook to get connected with their schoolmates. You must read its policy before you press “Allow” button.
3. Stay away from strangers and accept only those requests of people whom you know.
What you are giving out while you are shopping online -
Shopping preferences, things you like, IP Address, Residential Address, Credit Card information, mobile number and lot more.
How to stay safe while shopping online ?
1. Review user feedback. If a site seems doubtful, then you can Google it. You will be surprised to see other user reviews on internet. Let us take the real example of Amit Bhawani who listed – 4 reasons why he would avoid purchasing products from FlipKart.com. While other people feels great to shop on Flipkart.
2. Read privacy policies to see if the site shares your personal information with any third party.
3. Use virtual credit cards while shopping online.
If you follow the above instructions, you can be prevent yourself from the cyber trouble.